Before you can upgrade the secondary BIG-IQ system, you must have uploaded the software to it.
The primary BIG-IQ is upgraded automatically, directly after the devices in the DCD cluster are finished upgrading, but you have to manually upgrade the secondary BIG-IQ system.
Use the following command only in very specific circumstances, such as this one, since it clears the majority of a BIG-IQ system's configuration. Before you run the command, be sure you are on the secondary BIG-IQ system. This command removes all stored data. If you run this command from the primary BIG-IQ system, you'll permanently lose all of your saved data.
- Log in to the secondary BIG-IQ system's command line as root and type the following command: /usr/bin/clear-rest-storage.
While this step is not required, it clears the database storage on the system so the upgrade goes more quickly. After you upgrade both peer systems and re-establish the HA pair, the peer BIG-IQ will synchronize its database with this BIG-IQ system and repopulate the database.
- Log in to the system that you are going to establish as the secondary BIG-IQ system's user interface.
- At the top of the screen, click System.
- On the left click .
- Click the Upgrade button.
- For the Software Image, select the image you want to install.
- From the Target Volume list, select the volume you want to install the image on.
You can either choose an existing (inactive) volume, or create a new volume. If the Target Volume list is empty, the machine you are upgrading does not have a second volume available for you to install the upgrade. You must create one to proceed.
- To install to an existing volume, select Target Volume and select the volume for the upgrade.
- To install to a new volume, select New Volume, and type the new volume name.
- To back up the BIG-IQ device, select Backup the BIG-IQ System before upgrade.
- Click the Install button at the bottom of the screen.
Wait while the BIG-IQ secondary device upgrade process completes. During this time, it is important that you not interrupt the installation process by restarting services or the server. When the BIG-IQ upgrades, it becomes inaccessible briefly. When you can log in to the BIG-IQ again, the process is complete.