The upgrade process consists of the following phases, where each phase includes a series of tasks.
Important: F5 recommends that you upgrade the BIG-IQ system and the DCD cluster through the user interface. Attempting to use a sequence of tmsh commands will likely result in loss of data.
Important: The upgrade process illustrated here is specific to version 5.2 or 5.3, and requires taking the DCD cluster offline. To prevent losing data, perform this process during a maintenance window. To upgrade from a different version, refer to Choosing the appropriate upgrade process on support.f5.com for guidance.
Preparing for an upgrade
- Download the BIG-IQ software image from the F5 Downloads site.
- Upload the latest version of the BIG-IQ software image to the primary BIG-IQ.
Upgrade your DCD cluster.
- Check the health of the devices in the DCD cluster.
- Determine available disk space for the devices in the DCD cluster.
- Prepare the upgrade for your DCD cluster.
- For each device in the DCD cluster, upload the BIG-IQ software and upgrade the device.
Upgrade the BIG-IQ systems in the HA pair.
- Remove the secondary BIG-IQ system from the primary BIG-IQ system.
- Upgrade the primary BIG-IQ system.
- Upload the latest version of the BIG-IQ software image to the secondary BIG-IQ.
- Upgrade the secondary BIG-IQ to the latest version.
Complete post-upgrade processes.
- Add the secondary BIG-IQ system back to the primary BIG-IQ system.
- Run the post upgrade process.
- Upgrade the statistics agent.
- Re-discover devices and re-import services (you can do this either manually or using a script).
- If you manage devices that use APM services, remove and recreate access groups. There are 3 ways to do this, depending on whether your devices use Secure Web Gateway data and whether you want to do this manually or in bulk.
- If you plan to deploy applications to a VMware cloud environment, install the vCenter host root certificate on BIG-IQ.