The following diagram shows a basic deployment of two BIG-IP® VE virtual appliances in a Microsoft
Azure availability set.
The two BIG-IP VEs are synchronizing their configurations to one another; they are not
communicating for the purpose of failover. The BIG-IP VE high availability feature does not work
in Azure, and you cannot create an active-standby pair.
This deployment has the following benefits:
- The two BIG-IP VEs are on different hardware,
because they are in an Azure availability set, and as such, both servers should not be down at
the same time.
- Changes on one BIG-IP VE are propagated to
the other, because config sync is enabled.
- If one BIG-IP VE fails, the other BIG-IP VE
continues to process traffic, though packets on the failed system are lost.
- Both BIG-IP VEs have Active status and are
available to process traffic.
- More traffic can be processed; if each BIG-IP
VE has 1Gbps of throughput, then together they have 2Gbps.